Welcome to Charlestown Community Primary School
Welcome to our school website.
Everyone in our school is important and all adults contribute to ensure that Charlestown maintains an ethos which is embracing , inclusive, stimulating,caring ,attractive and purposeful and that the school aims and mission statement underpins all that we do.
All our children are talented and capable and can acheive in some way. The school philosophy is to have a holistic approach, the artistic and creative is as important as the academic and the experiences we provide for our pupils are wide ranging and we try to ensure that all our pupils experience success in some way and can feel good about themselves as individuals.
At Charlestown Community Primary School we are committed to improving the quality of education for all our children which will enable them to reach their full potential and attain the expectations of knowledge, understanding and the skills that society demands for their future lives. High quality education at Charlestown Community Primary School will be achieved by:
- Positive, caring and clearly focused leadership from the Senior Leadership Team
- The whole staff team working together to do its best for our children’s confidence in themselves as learners and individuals
- The whole staff team having high expectations of our children’s social, behavioural and academic performance
- Well planned, exciting and challenging teaching that develops lively, enquiring and open minds in our children
- Creating stimulating and attractive learning environments in which our children and all of the school team can take pride
- Fostering a calm, secure and purposeful working atmosphere that nurtures a positive esteem and self-image in all our children
- Promoting respect for British Values
- Valuing other people and their property
- Working in close partnership with parents, Governors and the local community to enrich opportunities for our children
Aims of the school:
We will continually strive to achieve our school’s aims through the formal curriculum and through all other experiences offered to our children. High quality education will raise the standard of attainment and achievement and enable the children to reach expectations for their ages, enabling them to:
- Develop their use of English and Maths which provide the foundation for all their learning
- Learn social skills that encourage agreeable interactions between their peers as well as adults
- Treat everyone in an equal manner, irrespective of gender, race, class or disability
- Develop personal and moral values that are respectful of others, leading to their appreciation and toleration of other religions and cultures
- To develop the children’s understanding of the following British Values and the society they live in:
- The Rule of Law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual Respect
- Tolerance of different faiths and beliefs
- The British Values above are also reinforced through our International Primary Curriculum’s Personal Goals:
- Learn in a safe and secure environment, in keeping with health and safety regulations and our Safeguarding policy that are in the interests of all whom work in the school or are visitors to the school
We believe that the most effective way of achieving these aims is through the promotion of inquiry and curiosity, enthusiasm and challenge, sharing and learning together, the acceptance of and embracing of differences, openness, self-respect and persistence.
Our School aims to be inclusive. We want all our children to feel welcomed, happy and fulfilled. We recognise that children are different and that these differences create opportunities for adults and children alike to learn more about ourselves and each other. Helping children to develop good attitudes and values is an important feature of our work.
If a child has a disability they will be treated no less favourably than other children. We will make reasonable adjustments to ensure that pupils with disabilities are not placed at a substantial disadvantage. We will always strive to ensure physical access to the school, the curriculum and written information.
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that people with a disability are not treated differently without lawful justification. We will make reasonable adjustments for disabled pupils and we will know we have succeeded when disabled students are participating fully in school life.
We hope that the relationships and experiences which the children have at our school will provide a sound and secure platform from which to build for the rest of their lives and if a pupil can say "Charlestown Primary School was a good time in my life" , Then we can feel we have done a good job .